Friday, October 11, 2013

Review: Honey by Marc Jacobs


So... first post, eh? Awkward. Feels like a first date. Only it's over a blog, not a dinner table or bag of popcorn.

It seems that most of my social networking names link back to the first motif of my internet identity, a bumblebee. So I figured... hey, why not find a way to tie that into the name here too? On that note, I figure it only appropriate to start off by doing a review of this new scent in my (albeit, quite small) perfume collection.



Anyone who knows me well, knows I have a love/love relationship with honey. My favourite sweetener. I down spoonfuls of it when I'm sick, I down spoonfuls when I'm healthy... heck, I think I've even used it on a cut once or twice because I ran out of Polysporin and knew honey had anti-bacterial properties.

So it's no surprise that the newest perfume in my collection is... (drumroll, please)

You guessed it! (But also probably read the title and saw the image above...)

Honey by Marc Jacobs!


This is a gorgeous scent. I claim to be no perfume connoisseur, so I'll post the notes/description I found for it here:

"Honey by Marc Jacobs is a sunny delicious floral - energetic and alluring, with a sparkling, golden touch. The perfect mix of brightness and warmth.

The fragrance energizes with the freshness of green pear brightened with a splash of fruity punch and juicy mandarin. At the heart of the fragrance is orange blossom, a note of sparkling femininity that mingles with nectars of honeysuckle and peach. Honey, vanilla and smooth woods dry down to a warm, golden base.

Top Note – Pear, Juicy Mandarin
Mid Note – Orange Blossom, Peach Nectar, Apricot, Honeysuckle
Base Note – Honey, Golden Vanilla, Smooth Woods
" - marcjacobs.com

This perfume is perfect if you're looking for a light, sweet, floral day fragrance. The exact thing I was looking for. I'm very sensitive to strong scents, hence why I tend to steer clear of them. I'm not looking to drop my money on something that'll only give me a headache.
That doesn't mean that you can't smell this perfume, or that it fades quickly... no no! I put on this perfume and could smell it on me after a 3 hour class and then some.

Taking a look at the notes, I can see why I was drawn to this fragrance. I'm drawn to pretty much anything with a pear scent, so that was likely the first reason this little bugger pulled me in. I'm also a lover of peach, honeysuckle, and quite obviously honey, which I also pick up through the wear which is quite lovely. The vanilla is also there, but very faintly. Which is good for me, as I find strong vanilla scents can be nauseating after awhile. Especially if it's a sugary vanilla scent, which this luckily is not. (One example of a perfume that does this for me is Pink Sugar. I'm sorry if you love that perfume... but it gives my migraines almost instantaneously.) The 'smooth woods' is also a nice touch. It really grounds the smells in Honey, and gives it a more earthy tone once it dries down after a bit. Altogether it's just a light, sweet, fruity floral perfume that I am just so happy to get to wear now.

Speaking of sweet... can we just take a moment to appreciate the adorable packaging of this? As a design student, I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. And I couldn't lie if someone questioned me if it was a factor in my buying decision for this perfume. Because it totally was. It's adorable! Even my mother, who was with me while I was out buying this little guy exclaimed, "it's so cute!" when I showed her the bottle.


I think one of my favourite details of the packaging are the little pearls between the wings on the bottle and lid. Combined with the transparency of the wings, it adds a lot of visual interest to the design of the bottle.
And I know this sort of bottle isn't appealing to everyone, especially for an older crowd. It does look a bit juvenile I suppose, but I think it's perfectly appropriate for my 20-year-old self!

All in all, if you're looking for a nice, light, sweet fragrance for pretty much anytime (though I see it as more of a day scent), I'd say give Honey a go! Try a sample at your nearest department store/drug store/Sephora and see what you think for yourself.

This bottle was $80 (-$20 for me since I got it on promo) for the 50ml/1.7oz bottle, which as perfumes go I don't think is too bad!

Stay sweet.

x,
Mickie

(Disclaimer: All products shown were purchased with my own money. Actually, this one was from Shoppers Drug Mart. For $20 off. Score!)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...